Internal Specialist, Gastroenterologist, Clinical Pharmacologist
Clinic of the University of Munich - Head of the Department of Clinical Pharmacology
Illnesses of the digestive tract are the clinical focal point
Immune therapy of tumours is the scientific focal point
Additional information about the clinic:
Published the specialist medical book:
"Specialist Examination Internal Medicine"
Past and Present Leading Positions
2011 Appointment as Visiting Professor Harvard Medical School, Department of Pathology, April to August 2011
2011 Appointment as Jury Member for European Research Council (ERC),Selection Jury Advanced Investigator Grant, Panel Immunology and Infection
2009 - Spokesman of the DFG Graduate Research Centre “Oligonucleotides in cellbiology and therapy” (renewal with 3,535,078 Euro total funding until 2014)
2007 - Dean of Research, Medical Faculty, Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich,Germany, for three years; reelection for term 2010 to 2013 (2009 annual budget for research and education: 149 million Euro); excellence university in the German excellence initiative
2007 - Chairman of the newly formed Research Committee of the Medical Faculty
2007 - Principal investigator in the excellence cluster Center of Integrated Protein Science Munich (CIPS-M)
2007 - LMUexcellent Research Professor at the University of Munich as one out of eleven grantees
2007 - Member of the Board of the Clinical Study Center, newly established to coordinate clinical studies at the Ludwig-Maximilian University
2006 - Board of Directors (Aufsichtsrat) of Ludwig-Maximilian University Clinics for five more years (2009 annual budget: 845 million Euro; 9,929 employees)
2006 - Consultant for biotech companies designing phase II studies for immunotherapy of patients with autoimmune or infectious diseases
2005 - 2006 Member of the Management Board (Vorstand) of Ludwig-Maximilian University Clinics
2003 - Member of the Ethics Committee of the State of Bavaria (Bayerische Landesärztekammer)
2003 Board-certified Immunologist (German Society of Immunology)
2003 - 2007 Principal Investigator of investigator-intitated phase II study with autologous dendritic cell vaccination for patients with pancreatic cancer
2002 - Member of the Faculty Council (Fachbereichsrat), Medical Faculty, Ludwig-Maximilian University
1998 - 2009 Chairman, Subcommittee on Drugs in Gastrointestinal Disease
1997 - 2004 Course Director teaching program of Harvard Educational Alliance
1993 - Member of Committee on Drug Evaluation (Arzneimittelkommission), Ludwig-Maximilian University Clinics
1997 - Full Professor of Clinical Pharmacology, Director, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Ludwig-Maximilian University
1996 Subspeciality boards Gastroenterology, senior physician at intensive care unit
1993 Subspeciality boards Intensive Care Medicine, Attending Physician at the Department of Internal Medicine
1992 Habilitation for Internal Medicine (Assistant Professor)
1991 Specialty boards Internal Medicine
1988 -1997 Residency, Subspecialty Fellowship and Research Group Leader at Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ludwig-Maximilian University
1987 - 1988 Research Fellow Scholarship at the Department of Infectious Diseases, New England Medical Center, Boston (group of Prof. Charles Dinarello)
1984 -1987 Medical Internship at Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ludwig-Maximilian University (Director: Prof. Dr. P. C. Scriba)
1984 M.D. degree with magna cum laude, Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
1983 State Medical Boards, Munich
1982 Core clinical clerkship Internal Medicine at Beth Israel Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston
1979 Bachelor of Arts degree with magna cum laude, Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, Harvard University
1977 - 1979 Two years study at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1975 Entering Medical School at Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich
1967 - 1975 Secondary School Gymnasium bei St. Anna (humanistic, modern languages), Augsburg; skipping grade 10.
Total of 146 original research papers in peer-reviewed journals, 42 review articles, and 28 books or book chapters. The cumulative journal impact factor is 838,2. The number of total citations is10,448 and the h-index (Hirsch) is 56. For a complete list of publications, see www.klinische-pharmakologie.de → Publikationen. 50 invited lectures, organisation of 17 scientific conferences and five patents or patent applications.
Top Ten Publications
1. Brunner C, Seiderer J, Schlamp A, Bidlingmaier M, Eigler A, Haimerl W, Lehr HA, Krieg A, Hartmann G, Endres S. Enhanced dendritic cell maturation by TNF-α or cytidine-phosphateguanosine DNA drives cell activation in vitro and therapeutic anti-tumour immune responses in vivo. Journal of Immunology 2000; 165:6278-86.
2. Hartmann G, Battiany J, Poeck H, Wagner M, Kerkmann M, Lubenow N, Rothenfusser S, Endres S. Rational design of new CpG oligonucleotides that combine B cell activation with high IFN-α induction in plasmacytoid dendritic cells. European Journal of Immunology 2003; 33:1633-41.
3. Hornung V, Guenthner-Biller M, Bourquin C, Ablasser A, Schlee M, Uematsu S, Noronha A, Manoharan M, Akira S, de Fougerolles A, Endres S, Hartmann G. Sequence-specific potent induction of IFN-α by short interfering RNA in plasmacytoid dendritic cells through TLR7. Nature Medicine 2005; 11:263-70.
4. Bourquin C, Schreiber S, Beck S, Hartmann G, Endres S. Immunotherapy with dendritic cells and CpG oligonucleotides can be combined with chemotherapy without loss of efficacy in a mouse model of colon cancer. International Journal of Cancer 2006; 118:2790-5.
5. Hornung V, Ellegast J, Kim S, Brzozka K, Jung A, Kato H, Poeck H, Akira S, Conzelmann KK, Schlee M, Endres S, Hartmann G. 5’-triphosphate RNA is the ligand for RIG-I. Science 2006; 314:994-997.
6. Bourquin C, Schmidt L, Hornung V, Wurzenberger C, Anz D, Sandholzer N, Schreiber S, Völkl A, Hartmann G, Endres S. Immunostimulatory RNA oligonucleotides trigger an antigen-specific cytotoxic T cells and IgG2a response. Blood 2007; 109:2953-2960.
7. Schmidt A, Schwerd T, Hamm W, Hellmuth J, Cui S, Wenzel M, Hoffmann F, Michallet MC, Besch R, Hopfner KP, Endres S, Rothenfusser S. 5'-triphosphate RNA requires base-paired structures to activate anti-viral signaling via RIG-I. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2009; 106:12067-72
8. Gross O, Poeck H, Bscheider M, Dostert C, Hannesschlaeger N, Endres S, Tardivel A, Tschopp J, uland J. Syk kinase signaling couples to the Nalp3 inflammasome for anti-fungal host defense. Nature 2009; 459:433-6
9. Anz D, Koelzer VH, Moder S, Thaler R, Schwerd T, Lahl K, Sparwasser T, Besch R, Poeck H, Hornung V, Hartmann G, Rothenfusser S, Bourquin C, Endres S. RNA oligonucleotides inhibit Treg cell function. Journal of Immunology 2010; 184:939-46
10. Poeck H, Bscheider M, Gross O, Finger K, Roth S, Rebsamen M, Hannesschläger N, Schlee M, Rothenfusser S, Barchet W, Kato H, Akira S, Inoue S, Endres S, Peschel C, Hartmann G, Hornung V, Ruland J. Recognition of RNA virus by RIG-I results in activation of CARD9 and inflammasome signaling for interleukin 1 beta production. Nature Immunology 2010; 11:63-9
Memberships in Professional Societies
German Society of Clinical Pharmacology, German Society of Gastroenterology, German Society of Immunology, German Society of Internal Medicine, German Society of Pharmacology and Toxicology, International Cytokine Society, Tumor Center Munich: Study Group Gastrointestinal Tumors
S. Akira (Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University, Japan); Th. Blankenstein (Charité University Medicine, Berlin), M. Cella (Department of Immunology, University of Washington); C. Dinarello (Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Colorado); G. Firestein (Division of Rheumatology; University of California); G. Hartmann and V. Hornung (University of Bonn); H.-A. Lehr (Institute of Pathology, University of Lausanne); Prof. E. Maraskovsky (Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Melbourne); Dr. D. Speiser, (Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Lausanne). Joint publications of the Division of Clinical Pharmacology with cooperating institutes in the past five years: 57 research articles.
2007 - LMUexcellent Professorship, Ludwig-Maximilian University
2005 - Jury Member of Paul-Martini Prize, Novartis Foundation Prize for Therapeutic Research and of Wilhelm-Vaillant Prize, three out of the five most prestigious medical research prizes of Germany
2000 Honour Medal, Munich-Harvard-Educational Alliance
1994 Research Stipend, Walter-Marget-Association
1986 Research Stipend of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft for post-doctoral research at New England Medical Center, Boston
1977 Scholarship of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes
1975 Finalist and 2nd place, German National Mathematics Competition
Memberships on Editorial Boards
International Journal of Immunopharmacology (USA); Infection (D); PUFA Newsletter (CH; since 1996); Arzneimittelforschung Drug Research (D; since 2009).
Frequent Peer Reviewer (Selection)
Journal of Clinical Investigation (USA), International Immunology (USA), Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (USA), British Journal of Cancer (GB), European Journal of Immunology (D); European Journal of Immunogenetics (D) Prof. Dr. Stefan Endres Munich, February 1. 2011